Member Since: 2016
Baseline Year: 2011
Baseline GHG Emissions: 24,147 tCO2e
About the Member:
- The City of Kingston provides municipal services to 120,000 residents living in this visually stunning, historic city, often ranked one of the best places to live in Canada. In 2014, it was named a Top 7 Smart Community by the Intelligent Community Forum. Our vision – to become Canada’s most sustainable city – focuses our efforts on: environmental responsibility, social equity, economic health and cultural vitality.
Highlighted Sustainability Projects:
- The City of Kingston is currently managing the Community Energy Plan, with its intent to reduce energy consumption and keep energy related purchases within the community.
- Winner of the Green Economy Program - Innovation at the 2018 Evening of Recognition!
- A streetlight retrofit program led to a 60% reduction in streetlight electricity consumption in 2015 compared to 2011.
- The City of Kingston's facilities decreased their greenhouse gas emissions by 29% between 2011 and 2015 as a result of conservation program implemented across the building portfolio, as well as a decrease in provincial grid intensity.