About the Member:
- The Tea Room is a carbon neutral and zero consumer waste, student-run coffee shop on Queen’s University campus. Since its establishment in 2006, the organization has been founded on three pillars: Environmental Responsibility, Community Education, and Fiscal Sustainability. The cafe specializes in loose-leaf tea, coffee, and espresso while offering a variety of wholesome lunch and snack options.
- Click here for the Tea Room's full Sustainability Case Study!
Highlighted Sustainability Projects:
- Power Down for the Planet educational campaign continued to promote how to live more sustainably at home (ongoing).
- Partnership with Queen’s University Experimental Sustainability Team to review and improve business sustainability (ongoing)
- All Tea Room products and packaging are biodegradable, and linked to a commercial composting waste flow
- Published an internal Compost and Waste Management Report.
- Initiated a vermicomposting lab to refine the on-site composting process.
- Contracted thinkBIG consulting on sustainable business and published a recommendations report.
- The Tea Room formed a partnership with the Rideau Valley Conservation Foundation's Corporate Carbon Neutral Program
- The Tea Room achieved carbon-neutral status with respect to its operations.
- Inauguration of the annual Teas for Trees campaign (ongoing)
- Official zero consumer waste status reached, all products and packaging were diverted from landfill.